18 September 2012

* Velvet Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate Mousse
I have not made chocolate mousse in YEARS. When I had finished creating my velvety masterpiece and glanced around at the carnage in the kitchen - I suddenly remembered why. There were bowls and whisks and chocolate and egg shells  absolutely everywhere

I'm not a tidy cook. I make stuff up as I go along - I have to, I genuinely tend to discover key ingredients are missing from my store cupboard about half way through a recipe - and I inadvertently leave utter chaos in my wake. I have tried to tidy up my act over the years, but with no success.

Neil is constantly amazed at my ability to use every single pot and pan within reach, even when we go out and get a take-away. As am I.

True story.

Back to the mousse... I promise you won't make anywhere near as much mess as I did - and you won't find any chocolate mousse on the back of your neck at bed time. Or behind your ear.... or between your toes.

I didn't either.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Makes 6

Prep time - 15 minutes
Chill time - 3 - 4hrs

You will need
An electric whisk or BIG MUSCLES
3 bowls for prep
6 glasses to serve the mousse in

Ingredients
250g dark chocolate - chopped
80ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs - separated
375ml double cream
dark chocolate for grating and serving

Method
Put the dark chocolate and milk into a microwaveable bowl and nuke on half power for about 1 minute to melt it. or do it the old fashioned way over a pan of simmering water. Allow to cool for five minutes. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each one.


Add the vanilla extract to the cream and whip the cream in a bowl until it forms soft peaks, then fold through the chocolate until just combined.


Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then add the other half and repeat.


Divide the mousse between 6 glasses/serving dishes  (about 250ml each) and grate some dark chocolate onto the top of each one.



Cover and chill for 3 - 4 hrs, or until set.

2 comments :

  1. I should try that one, mine is from my mother and it's too buttery and dense. Yet it never prevented me from licking all the whisks and bowls. I think with yours I might eat the bowl with it. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See. This is why I love you. Not only are you planning on living in my shed and cutting my lawn with your teeth - you're going to eat my crockery too. You are so very *spethal*.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...