27 January 2013

* Chicken Chasseur

Oh My God I have put on soooo much weight over Christmas and the new year, that I have succumbed and signed up to Weight Watchers Online... so if it gets all healthy around here for a bit, you'll know why. I'm going to be a good girl... until I quit WW  because I've fallen into a vat of chocolate jazzies and have entered a sugar coma of "Screw The World" and diets in general.

It'll happen. It always does.

I've already given in to a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc that screamed at me when I went to mum's for a roast dinner today...

I was doing so well...

"No peas for me, thankyou mum, they use up my points and I don't really like them"..."No, I'll just have one iddy biddy roast potato please, thankyou"... "Can you take that piece of parsnip off my plate and oh for f*cks sake pass me that bottle of f*cking wine before I lose the plot completely and start say *Amen* at the end of every sentence!!!"

I did it for my family... I was much nicer after the wine. And during. It's all in the perspective... the Lemon and Mascarpone Roulade helped too.

With cream. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 4

Prep time - 20 minutes
Cooking Time - 1hr

You will need
A frying pan/skillet
An oven proof casserole dish with lid

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil or 5 sprays of fry light
600g chicken breast
2 large carrots - peeled and sliced
150g mushrooms - sliced
2 onions - sliced
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
400g can chopped tomatoes
300ml chicken stock - from a cube is fine
2 tbsps tomato puree
1/2 tsp browning (optional, adds colour)
salt and pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 180c/160cfan/350f/gas 4.

Heat the frying pan/skillet over a medium heat and spray with fry light (or add the olive oil). Add the chicken breasts and cook until beginning to brown on both sides -  about 3 to 4 minutes. Place the carrots and mushrooms into the base of the casserole dish and lay the browned chicken breasts on top.


Add the onion, garlic and herbs to the frying pan and cook until beginning to soften - about 5 minutes, then lay these over the top of the chicken. Put the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock and browning into the frying pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a fast simmer then pour/spoon it into the casserole dish. Put the lid on and cook in the oven for about an hour.


Serve with jacket potatoes and green veg.


NOTE: The sauce may need thickening at the end of cooking. If so, remove the chicken and pour the sauce and veg into a pan on the stove, bring back to a simmer (shouldn't take more than a second or two, its come straight from the oven) and thicken with 1 tsp of cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp of water.

Barely adapted from Weight Watchers

4 propoints per serving if using fry light, 5 if using olive oil.

8 comments :

  1. Really nice chicken dish! Well..loosing weight is never easy, I guess it's never ending battle :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a never ending battle, you're so right! If only food was a choice, like smoking, I could give it up ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah Abbe, your posts really are chicken soup for the soul! Life's tough enough, it shouldn't be made miserable by giving up wine too! I am also much nicer after a glass...or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moby my love, I would most certainly develop a drinking problem if I did give up the wine ;) ... and my family would probably hire an assassin.

      Delete
  3. You are so funny! If it helps, I put on 8 lb over the Holidays and I am 5'4". That's actually the reason why I look for healthier (looking) recipes on tastespotting. Who am I kidding, I am drooling over everithing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't help to like food, when your hour glass figure has no actual middle! I think I put on around the same amount - my head says "No" but it never quite catches up with my mouth - I've already chewed and swallowed whatever my head was deciding to get negative about ;)

      Delete
  4. oooh that one looks yummy *_*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...