29 August 2016

* Hot Smoked Salmon Kedgeree Stir Fry

I LOVE Hot Smoked Salmon. I have a hard time not eating it straight out of the fridge, with only my fingers for garnish. You can't disguise the fact that you've just raided the fridge and helped yourself to a rather large flake of the stuff, because it's quite strong smelling in it's smokiness. So I leave the fridge foraging for when no one is home and the windows are wide open... and for when I've locked the cat in the garage. If I don't lock the cat in the garage he comes charging in through the cat flap at the first whiff - meowing "CHRISTMAS" at top volume.

This Hot Smoked Salmon Kedgeree Stir Fry was born of a want for kedgeree and pure unadulterated laziness. I can't be bothered to cook up a storm most mornings and I want my first meal of the day to take as little time as possible to prepare so that I can stuff my face in a leisurely fashion and enjoy a pint of coffee whilst I wake up... plus - I don't like egg white. Kedgeree usually involves egg of some description. Boiled, poached or fried depending on the person cooking it. I honestly wish I could stand the texture of egg white because I would love to try Eggs Benedict or Huevos Rancheros but after 44 years it just ain't gonna happen. So I tend to stir a whole beaten egg into my kedgeree as a substitute and it works better with the stir fry method than any other...

... and there's that whole need for speed thing...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Hot Smoked Salmon Kedgeree Stir Fry

Serves 4 for Breakfast or 3 for Brunch
Syns per serving on Extra Easy - None

Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 15 - 20 minutes
Total time - 20 - 25 minutes

You will need
A large non stick skillet/frying pan with lid.

Ingredients
Low Fat Cooking Spray (Fry Light)/1 tbsp olive oil (if not monitoring butt expansion)
1 onion - diced
2 fat cloves garlic - crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp chilli powder
450g/1lb cooked, cold rice (I used white basmati)
2 tbsp water
1 egg beaten
4 spring onions - chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
185g/6oz Hot Smoked Salmon
Juice of half a lemon

Method
  • Place the pan over a medium heat and chuck in the diced onions, spray with fry light and give a quick stir before popping the lid on. Cook gently for about 8 minutes, or until softened - giving the occasional stir.
  • Add the crushed garlic and all of the spices and cook for about a minute, stirring. You may want to add a few more sprays of oil at this juncture to moisten everything up a bit.
  • Stir in the cold cooked rice and 2 tbsps of water and turn the heat up ever so slightly.
  • Keep stirring the rice gently until it's hot and has taken on the colour of the spices (about 4 minutes) then add the beaten egg, leave it for 30 seconds or so then stir the egg through the spiced rice.
  • Stir in the spring onions and fresh herbs then gently flake the salmon into the rice. Stir gently to combine and heat through the fish - about 2 minutes.
  • Finish with the lemon juice and serve.
EAT!

NOTE: I used a low calorie cooking spray in this for the soul purpose of shrinking my butt size, but by all means squodge in a dollop of olive oil in it's place - it will help the spices blend more thoroughly into the dish. Just remember to add in the syns/calories/points etc if you do so... and are dieting. Bit daft to do all of that if you're not.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...