31 August 2012

* Peanut Butter Chicken Curry

Peanut Butter Chicken Curry Recipe
I have a million food magazines that I'm trying to whittle down to about 500,000 and I found this recipe purely by chance.

I had to make it because it would use up some of the 500g tub of Greek yogurt I'd bought - *impulse purchase styley* - and the fresh coriander that was sitting on my kitchen window sill looking... well... notso fresh.

Plus anything with peanut butter in the recipe has to be tried at least once.

My first ever serious boyfriend - we dated for 6 whole weeks (get me!) - introduced me to peanut butter, cheese and branston pickle sandwiches. My GOD it sounded disgusting - like something that only a 16 year old boy would think up!

It wasn't.

It was heaven on a plate.

There was no turning back.

There's something deeply satisfying about sucking peanut butter from the roof of your mouth... three days after you've eaten it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Peanut Butter Chicken Curry Recipe

Serves 3

Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 15 minutes

You will need
A large skillet/frying pan

Ingredients
1 large red chilli - deseeded
2cm piece fresh root ginger - roughly chopped
1 fat garlic clove
small bunch coriander - stalks removed and roughly chopped 
- reserve leaves
1 tbsp sunflower oil
4 skinless chicken breasts - cut into chunks
1/2 tsp cumin
5 tbsp peanut butter
150ml chicken stock
200g Greek yogurt

Method
Finely slice a quarter of the chilli, then put the rest in a pestle and mortar with the ginger, garlic, coriander stalks and one-third of the leaves. Grind to a rough paste with a splash of water if needed.


Heat the oil in the frying pan. Brown the chicken chunks for about 3 min. Stir in the paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the peanut butter, stock and yogurt. When the sauce is gently bubbling, leave to simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is just cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Stir in most of the remaining coriander, then scatter the rest on top with the finely sliced chilli.

Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.

NOTE: The original recipe stated that it served 4. It really didn't. If you want it serve 4, try adding some extra vegetables, like onion or mushroom to make it go a bit further.

Barely adapted from Good Food Magazine.





4 comments :

  1. Love! I had peanut butter curry sometime last year at this hole in the wall restaurant that shut down. The curry (unlike the other stuff on the menu) was amazing! I've been trying to recreate it since. Thanks to you, I'm having it for lunch tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it lives up to expectations! I have a peanut butter addiction, so I can't buy it too often or my lips would be permanently stuck together ;)

      Delete
  2. Haha I know what you mean - I feel the same way about Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame we don't addicted to things like lettuce or rhubarb ;)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...