I begged for the recipe.
It was another year (at least) before I managed to badger her into submission. With the recipe came strict instructions to NEVER use low fat cream cheese - because the recipe wouldn't work... of course I had to try it at least once with low fat cream cheese... just to be sure...
... she was right. Dammit. Which was NOT fun.
Now that I have the recipe - I make it for all of us at least once a month. Both Neil and Josh love it (as do I), and it's too easy not to include it on a regular basis.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *No Bake Lime Cheesecake Recipe
Serves 8 - 10
Prep time - 10 - 15 minutes
Chill time - 3 hours total
You will need
23cm loose bottomed flan case
A whisk and bowl/Kenwood chef/Kitchen Aid
A rolling pin
A plastic bag
A small bowl or saucepan
A generous tablespoon of golden syrup
200g digestive biscuits
100g chocolate digestive biscuits
400g FULL FAT Philadelphia
400g tin of condensed milk
Zest & juice of 4 limes
30g dark chocolate
Melt the butter and syrup together, either in a saucepan on a gentle heat - or nuke it in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Put all of the biscuits together in a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin until the biscuits are rough, rustic crumbs.
Combine the crumbs with the melted butter and syrup. Line the base of a 23cm loose based flan/tart case with the buttery crumbs. Press firmly into the case then chill for about an hour.
Whisk together the condensed milk, cream cheese. Then add the lime juice and zest - at this stage it does thicken - and whisk to combine. Pour onto the biscuit base and spread evenly across the top. Chill for 1 hour.
Melt the chocolate on a medium power level in your microwave for about 1 minute (or use the old fashioned bowl over a sauce pan of simmering water method) and drizzle over the top of the cheesecake - chill for another hour (at least). Remove from flan case.
1. You can use a food processor to make the crumb base, but it'll be very fine crumbs that compact rather densely and make hard work out of cutting into the cheesecake.
2. I think Graham Crackers??? are the *across the pond* equivalent of digestive biscuits.
3. I don't put the lime zest in mine. I don't like it.
4. The longer you leave this to chill, the firmer it becomes. So the further in advance you can make this - the better.