7 October 2012

* Celeriac and Carrot Soup

Celeriac and Carrot Soup
We were going to go the cinema today to watch 'Looper', but as we haven't had a *chill out* weekend in quite some time, we decided to stay home and flake out in various rooms for the day.

Well, that was the plan. Hubby is fantastic at vegetating... I'm not good at sitting still unless I have a book to read that's so amazing I'll try to justify swapping a day at work to stay home and read it. That hasn't happened in quite some time and I had ants in my pants today - so I've managed to get a load of odd jobs done to set me up for the week ahead, and I made a soup.

It was very, very tempting to make another soup with sweet potatoes, because I love them - but I had a large nubby celeriac, that  held up it's hand and shouted "Pick me! Pick me!", when I was rummaging - and he'd been waiting quite long enough...

...sadly, the okra that I'd bought on a whim must have died in it's sleep - so we had a quick funeral for it before embarking on the road to Soupdom.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 4

Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 30 minutes

You will need
A medium to large saucepan
A food processor/blender/stick blender

Ingredients
25g butter
1 celeriac - peeled and chopped
1 large potato - peeled and chopped
1 Leek - trimmed and chopped
1 onion - chopped
1 carrot - peeled and chopped
1 fat clove garlic - crushed
1 tsp dried sage
1 ltr vegetable stock - from a cube is fine
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Method
Melt the butter in the saucepan over a gentle heat and add all of the vegetables and the garlic to the pan. Stir to coat with the butter, then let gently sweat without colouring for 10 minutes. Putting a lid on helps.


After 10 minutes add the sage, cook for 1 minute before adding the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.


Allow to cool slightly before putting through a blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and gently reheat before serving scattered with crispy croutons.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...