3 October 2012

* Smokey Pork and Black Bean Tacos

Pork and Black Bean Tacos
I have a new love.

Whilst standing at the deli counter in Morrisons today - buying a hundred weight of Manchego cheese - I noticed these little tiny red peppers, stuffed with cream cheese. I couldn't resist them, but not knowing if they'd be as nice as they looked, I only bought 100g.

I wish I'd bought a kilo. They were sweet and spicy and bursting with flavour. They lasted all of five seconds after I'd eaten the first one. Happy days.

I also bought some fresh, slow roasted tomatoes, that were just as juicy and incredibly sweet and perfect to try out in a guacamole - that's if there were any left after I'd sampled them a few times.

Just to be sure.

I made tacos et al, to go with the guacamole. A boat load of them.

I'm plum taco'd out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 3 - 4

Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 30 minutes

You will need
A frying pan/skillet

Ingredients
Tacos
1tbsp sunflower oil
1/2 red onion - diced
2 tsps smoked paprika
2 tsps ground cumin
500g minced pork
300ml passata
2 tbsp tomato puree (concentrate)
5 tbsps barbecue sauce
salt
freshly ground black pepper
400g tin black beans - drained and rinsed
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
12 taco shells

Guacamole
1 ripe avocado - mashed
4 slow roasted tomatoes - finely diced
1/4 red onion - finely diced
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
juice of half a lime

Method
Heat the oil in the frying pan and add the red onion, soften for five minutes over a gentle heat before adding the smoked paprika and cumin. Stir them in and cook for 1 minute.


Add the minced pork to the pan and cook until just beginning to brown - pork mince is quite sticky so be sure to break it up during cooking, using a wooden spoon or spatula. Add the passata, bbq sauce and tomato puree and cook gently until the sauce has reduced and is clinging to the meat rather than the pan. About 20 minutes.


Whilst the pork mixture is cooking, make the guacamole - place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper.


Add the beans to the pork and season to taste. Stir until beans have heated through - 3 minutes -  then add the chopped thyme.

Heat the taco shells according to the packet instructions - line each with crisp curly lettuce, spoon in the pork and beans and finish with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream.

Stuff yer face.


Or someone else's.

Barely adapted from BBC Good Food Magazine

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...