15 February 2013

* Sausage and Red Pepper Chilli

Today is my Weigh Day. I picked a Friday instead of a Monday, because I reckon that I always weigh more on a Monday morning after being unable to use the words "No, thank you." over the weekend. These words seem to disappear from my vocabulary on a Saturday morning, around about the time I discover the bacon and breakfast muffins in the freezer... where I put them the night before.

So, Friday seemed a better choice and more likely to grant me a modicum of success - I lost 1lb this week. Which is better than 4oz, and waaaaaay better than putting weight on, which is what I actually expected. I got on and off the scales three times, just to check. I even opened my eyes on one occasion.

The sun has finally put in a long awaited appearance, so I'm off out for the afternoon to walk the dog and talk myself into not ordering my own body weight in Nachos when I meet my girlfriends for lunch tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 4

Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 20 minutes

You will need
A wide based non stick pan with lid

Ingredients
8 reduced fat sausages
1 red pepper - deseeded and sliced
1 onion - sliced
1 red chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp dried herbs of your choice, I used thyme, rosemary, sage and basil
2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans - drained (about 240g) and rinsed
Salt and pepper for seasoning.

Method
Remove the sausages from their skins and make about 24 meatballs with the sausage meat (6 per person). Place the pan on a medium heat and cook the sausage balls for about 5 minutes until starting to brown on all sides. Don't use any fat, you won't need it... unless you have bought ultra skinny sausages that have virtually no fat, in which case use a couple of sprays of fry light.


Add the red pepper, onion and chilli to the pan, along with the dried mixed herbs and cook, stirring intermittently for another 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Pop the lid on, it'll help.


Add the cumin and coriander and stir through, then add the tomatoes and kidney beans. Mix to combine, pop the lid on and cook gently for 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced slightly. Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice, pasta or crushed new potatoes mixed with  Philadelphia Light with Chives (these make a nice change).

EAT



7 propoints per serving of chilli

Adapted to make Weightwatchers Friendly from Good Food Magazine.

2 comments :

  1. Tried this recipe last night. Used a teaspoon of chilli powder as I had no fresh chillies. Very nice, would definitely cook again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...