24 March 2013

* Cheesy Tuna Quesadillas

Cheesy Tuna Quesadillas
I've been making tortilla wraps stuffed with just about anything I have left over in the fridge - that needs eating up - for years. I've only recently started to cook quesadillas as an alternative, and I'm falling in love with them, though I've yet to find a way of stopping the chorizo ones from oozing orangey red oil down the front of whatever top I'm wearing... those ones involve a lot of strategic chin placement and mopping up.

Quesadillas have become an almost permanent lunchtime fixture of late because none of us like shop bought bread, and I keep forgetting to load up the bread maker until I'm hungry and it's too late. This is probably also the reason that I like such hearty soups, because they don't really require bread... there's one on the stove bubbling away right now, and even though I'm writing this and thinking "I must get a loaf in the bread maker in a minute"... it ain't gonna happen.

In another ten minutes -when I've finished updating etc - I have no idea what my brain will be doing. I know it well enough by now, to know that the mere fact that it has considered the possibility of making bread... is going to convince it, that it has, in fact, gone through the entire process of loading up the bread maker with the necessary ingredients and turned it on.

In four hours time it will be completely dumbfounded by the fact that there is still no bread cooking in the bread maker.

This is when it will have a light bulb moment... It will then promise to do better next time... make my feet walk into the kitchen towards the bread maker... spot the washing blowing on the line... get meowed at by Archie because he's decided he wants feeding.... feed the cat... wander back out of the kitchen... then four hours later...

Rinse and repeat.

It's incredibly hard work being me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 2

Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 5 - 10 minutes

You will need
A large non stick frying pan/skillet

Ingredients
2 soft flour tortillas
4 tbsps tomato salsa
3oz/85g (drained weight ) canned tuna in spring water - drained!
2 spring onions - chopped
2oz/50g cooked sweetcorn
1/2 red pepper - deseeded and chopped
2.5oz/65g Gruyère cheese - grated
Olive oil

Method
Lay out one of the tortillas on a board and spread with the salsa, then sprinkle over the tuna, veg and Gruyère. Place the second tortilla on top and press down.

Brush the frying pan with the olive oil and add the filled tortillas. Cook over a moderate heat for 2 - 3 minutes. Press down with a spatula or fish slice until the cheese starts to melt. Check the underside of the tortilla for crispness by gently lifting the edge and peeking underneath.


Place a large plate over the frying pan and invert/flip the tortilla onto the plate, then slide back into the pan, cooked side up for another 2 - 3 minutes.

Serve cut into quarters with guacamole and a mixed salad, or a huge dollop of mayonnaise ( you can guess what I chose!).

EAT 


4 propoints per quarter Quesadilla, 9 propoints per actual serving.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...