19 August 2013

* Cheddar and Chive Scones {Meatless Mondays}

Cheddar and Chive Scones Recipe
In a bid to use up a few store cupboard ingredients that I don't use on a regular basis (I don't use any of them on a regular basis, but for the sake of having something to write about.... just go along with it)... ahem...

IN A BID to use up the wholemeal flour that was... ugh.

Okay. I was bored. And hungry.

I really shouldn't have been, because we went our for a humongous English Breakfast yesterday morning, that was not only the equivalent of an entire day's food on one plate - it was also absolutely scrumptious. The only HUGE disappointment HUUUUUUUGE - from my stand point - was that Neil ate his black pudding for the first time in 20 years....

... WE HAVE... AN... AGREEMENT!

Neil gets my egg white and I get his black pudding and grilled tomato. Yes. It is slightly tilted in my favour. However... WE HAVE AN AGREEMENT. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to word this on the divorce papers. Irreconcilable differences, perhaps? Or emotional abuse. Either way - it's over. I've already written a letter to Hugh (Jackman), telling him what time my aeroplane lands... and that we need to stop off at Maureen Shaw's for a roast dinner (she's holding the gravy) before carrying on our way to wherever our love nest is...

... but before I hop on a plane to *Laa-Laa Land* (and I don't mean Australia)... I baked some cheese and chives scones to take with me (to Laa-Laa Land, not to Australia.... Hugh won't be there (in Laa-Laa Land) Get a grip), or to eat with Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup for tea tonight... when I forgive Neil...

... for eating my black pudding. Yeah. Not gonna happen.

I'm curious - do any of you have similar agreements with your partner's when it comes to food? And do you want to stab them in the face with a fork when they renege on the deal? Do tell.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Cheese and Chive Scone Recipe

Makes 12

Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 15 - 20 minutes
Total time - 30 - 35 minutes

You will need
A baking sheet
Baking Parchment

Ingredients
6oz/180g wholemeal self raising flour
6oz/180g white self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2oz/60g butter - chopped up
3.5oz/100g mature cheddar - grated
2 tbsps chopped fresh chives
10.5fl oz/300ml skimmed milk

Method
  • Preheat oven to 220c/180c fan/350f and place a sheet of baking parchment on your baking sheet.
  • Place the flours, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and rub between your thumb and fingers until it resembles rough bread crumbs.
  • Stir in the cheese and chives.
  • Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk.
  • Use a flat bladed knife to gently mix together until a dough is formed.
  • Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball - do not over knead, the scones will be tough if you do.
  • Roll the dough out into a rectangle, 2cm in thickness and cut into 12 squares.
  • Arrange the scones on the baking sheet, leaving at least 1cm between each one and brush with milk.
  • Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes. 
  • Serve warm with butter.
  • Best eaten within two days.
EAT

Cheddar and Chive Scones Recipe

One Year Ago: Smoked Haddock Chowder

6 comments :

  1. We don't have an agreement but IT IS UNDERSTOOD that I get the chicken thigh parts..or else.. lol ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. The "Understanding", that's the unwritten version isn't it. I have mine in writing. I wrote it when we got home. *Nods sagely*.

      Chicken thighs?!? Hmmmmmm... may have to include that.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a scone! I so love savory scones and what better to put in them than cheddar and chives. Gotta make these soon! BTW, thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, and you're more than welcome - your blog, recipes and photos make me positively GREEN with envy ;-)

      Delete
  3. We have an agreement that, while I never order fries for myself, I get to filch as many as I want off of the husband's plate. I actually informed him of this agreement about 15 minutes after he proposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Kate... and he still married you?!? You've obviously caught a keeper ;-) I'm throwing mine back in the pond! Sans black pudding.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...