24 August 2013

* Raspberry Almond Squares

Raspberry Almond Squares Recipe
I know. They're not exactly square squares, but I can't bring myself to call them something as delicate as a slice, because they're really not delicate at all. They are, in fact, rather robust and pretty deep wodges of almondy, raspberryee cakie.

I have deep cakes. 

You have to open your mouth up REALLY BLOODY WIDE to wedge one of these babies in there. I know, because I've wedged four of them in mine. Not all at once, but I couldn't quite believe just how far I had to dislocate my jaw to get one in, so I had to try again.  

Four times!!! Okay. Three more times, because I'd already tried once and 3 + 1 = 4. If you clap - I will hunt you down and kill you.

I made these for Neil (out of guilt and because he loves them) because my oldest BFF, Kerry - dropped me in it. She mentioned his "I don't like custard" face... on facebook... and he wondered why she'd be mentioning such a thing... when he doesn't actually have an "I don't like custard" face... 

Mmmmm. Well. I didn't 'fess up that I'd blogged about it because I managed to instigate a discussion (yes - a discussion - NOT an argument) about the fact that I'd been with him for twenty years so I should absolutely know whether or not he had an "I don't like custard" face.

I win all arguments just recently by stating "Twenty years, Neil... TWENTY YEARS!!!" Which is code for "I know exactly what you're up to/what you meant/why you said that/did that/moved that/ate that... and you can't... fool... me!"

He just sits and laughs at me - then I let him get away with whatever it was he was trying to get away with because he's made me laugh too...

Mmmeh, maybe he can fool me. When I let him.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Raspberry Almond Squares Recipe

Makes 12

Prep time - 20 minutes
Cooking time - 40 - 45 minutes
Total time - 1hr - 1hr 5 minutes

You will need
A 20cm x 20cm baking tray lined with baking parchment
A whisk (electric or hand)
A food processor

Ingredients
The base
3.5oz/100g unsalted butter
7oz/200g plain flour
2 level tbsp caster sugar
1 medium egg - lightly beaten
The filling:
4tbsp raspberry jam
5oz/150g unsalted butter, softened
5oz/150g  caster sugar
5oz/150g self-raising flour
2oz/50g ground almonds
A few drops of almond extract (optional)
3 medium eggs
5oz/150g carton raspberries
The topping:
2-4 tbsp flaked almonds
Icing sugar, for dusting

Method
  • For the base: Place the butter, caster sugar and flour into a food processor and blitz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg and blitz until the mixture starts to look like coarse breadcrumbs. Tip into the baking tray, and press it down firmly to give an even layer. Use your fingers, a spoon tends to peel the base off the parchment.
  • Chill the base in the fridge for 10-15 mins until it's firm.
  • Preheat the oven to 180c /160c fan/350f/gas 4 and place a solid baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
  • For the filling: Whisk the butter (in a bowl) until soft then add the caster sugar and cream them together until the mixture is light and fluffy and pale in colour. Mix in the ground almonds and almond extract. Gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with each one. Whisk in the rest of the flour.
  • Remove the base from the fridge and spread the raspberry jam evenly over it. If it looks like too thin a layer DON'T be tempted to add more, you'll make the base soggy.
  • Spoon the sponge batter over the jam/ base, and spread level. If you place splodges of batter throughout the tin before leveling it, the jam is more likely to stay on the base than get mixed into the batter.
  • Scatter the raspberries over and press them gently into the batter, their tops will probably poke above the batter in places - this is fine - and then top with flaked almonds.
  • Place the tin on the hot baking sheet in the centre of the oven, and bake for 40-45 mins or until the mixture is a light-golden colour and a skewer comes out clean when pressed into the centre. If the tops starts to brown before the cake is cooked, place a sheet of tinfoil over the top to prevent it from getting singed.
  • Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
  • When it's cold, dust icing sugar over the top and cut into 12 squares/slices to serve. 
EAT

Raspberry Almond Squares Recipe

NOTE: Not suitable for freezing.
Adapted from Good To Know Recipes

One Year Ago: Mocha Brownies

8 comments :

  1. Whoaa... :O Yummilicious. I would want to be in Neil's shoes today. This recipe rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very happy ;-) I'll save you some, Sharon :D xx

      Delete
  2. They look scrummy Abbe. I'll have to hunt out some raspberries to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare! I was naughty and bought my raspberries in Sainsburys ;-)

      Delete
  3. wow!they look so delicious and I can eat few slices at once... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amila - they're actually really lovely still warm from the oven with a dollop of cream too ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...