OhMyGod this recipe was LUSH! I didn't know what to call it.... Chicken Mozzarella With Tomatoes... Smothered Mediterranean Chicken... Pizza Pepper Chicken Bake. Seriously, food naming is almost more complicated than baby naming. At least it is for me.
All the while I was pregnant, my baby was going to be called Thomas (even if it was a girl)... but when they plonked him in my arms I took one look at his strawberry blonde hair and ginger side burns and realised he was actually called Joshua. See... simples.
Not so simple when naming a recipe... When I look at food - the possibilities are endless. You want to tell everyone what's in it without giving them a list of ingredients. Which is really hard... especially when you're like me and stick bell peppers into virtually everything. It all starts to sound a bit "samey" after a while... so... I stuck three different titles into a hat... and... well... lets just say I put the first two I pulled out, back in...
This was another of those "hate food waste" recipes, that involved using up a couple of fresh chicken breasts, and some mozzarella - I very nearly made a pasta bake (stop groaning) - but I'm getting a bit bored with those (stop clapping), and whilst I'm doing the 5:2 diet I feel as though everything that I can eat on a normal day has to be worth eating.
I rather desperately wanted carrot pancakes for breakfast this morning. I have never made nor eaten a carrot pancake in my life. I have no idea if they are awful, if they are gawjus or if they even work as a recipe. I have not yet delved into google to find out... but you know I'm gonna... and you know I'm gonna share when I do...
... Oooooohhhhh I feel a Meatless Monday post coming on...
... unless they're sh*t.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Chicken Mozzarella with Tomatoes Recipe
Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 25 - 35 minutes
Total time - 35 - 40 minutes
You will need
A medium frying pan/skillet - preferably non stick
A medium baking dish
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion - chopped
1 clove garlic - crushed
1/2 green pepper - deseeded and chopped
1/2 yellow pepper - deseeded and chopped
1/2 red pepper - deseeded and chopped
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 chicken breasts
14oz/400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree/paste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
pinch of sugar
2oz/60g mozzarella - sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350f/180c/160c fan.
- Heat the oil in the pan and gently fry the onions, garlic, peppers and 1/2 tsps of rosemary for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Scoop into the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the chicken. Brown on both sides - takes about 2 minutes. If using a non stick pan you won't need any extra oil.
- Place chicken on top of peppers and onions in baking dish.
- Again, return pan to heat and add the chopped tomatoes, puree/paste, herbs, seasoning and pinch of sugar - cook for a minute or two until gently simmering.
- Pour the tomatoes over the top of the chicken.
- Place the sliced mozzarella on top of each piece of tomato covered chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 25 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbling and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with jacket potatoes or rice and green veg... and a HUGE glass of Pinot... darling.
NOTE: You can use any combination of dried herbs and any colour bell pepper you have lying around in the fridge. This recipe is very easily doubled for four people.
This recipe is linked up on Foodie Friday at Simple Living and Eating, so please pop over and see what other wonderful recipes you can find!
ONE YEAR AGO: Fusillata with Buttered Leeks and Gammon