29 March 2013

* Chicken, Chorizo and Borlotti Bean Stew

Chicken, Chorizo and Borlotti Bean Stew
Yes, it's yet another recipe with beans in it - this time they're purple ones. Sort of. I can promise you that it's not the beans recipes that you're going to get sick of though -it's the chorizo ones. I bought a *job lot* because I LOVE IT and have had to use it up whilst it's still fresh. Which I don't mind at all, because I LOVE IT but you might not. So... I'll try to be kind and space them out a little, but I'm promising nuffink... because... well... I LOVE IT.

Apparently, I also love a lot of other food. Weight watchers has not been going well for at least the past 4 weeks - I haven't tracked my food intake, even though I have tracked the points for 99% of my recipes. My weight remained the same for 4 weeks - which is better than going up, but not as good as going down. Which disappointed my brain no end.

I think me and my brain need to have a conversation about what constitutes a miracle. It has much higher expectations of weight loss, than I do. It also has a nasty habit of making me keep my eyes shut when I get on the scales on a Friday morning. How on earth am I supposed to see how much I weigh, through my eyelids??!!??

Imagine our surprise (yes, I am referring to myself with a plural...) when I managed to prise my eyes open this morning, and we discovered we had lost 2lbs. My brain had a little party that involved streamers, popping noises and an imaginary kazoo... and I got straight on the phone to ask my mate if she'd like to go swimming again... at which point my brain caught up, stopped blowing on it's imaginary kazoo and put on it's swimsuit.

A frilly pink one with yellow spots.

I can't take her anywhere.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 2

Prep time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 30 - 40 minutes

You will need
A medium non stick pan

Ingredients
5 sprays fry light
1 red onion - sliced
1 clove garlic - crushed
1 tiny pinch chilli flakes
4oz/120g Spanish chorizo - sliced
1/2 red pepper (capsicum) - chunked
3 boned and skinless chicken thighs - sliced into strips
14oz/400g can chopped tomatoes
10 fl oz/300ml chicken stock
10oz/300g can borlotti beans - rinsed and drained
1/2 small bunch coriander (cilantro) - chopped

Wholemeal pitta bread to serve

Method
Spray your pan with fry light and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat until beginning to soften but not brown. Add the chill flakes and red pepper and cook for a minute before adding the chicken and chorizo. Fry for another couple of minutes until the chorizo begins to release it's oil.


Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer, then stir in the borlotti beans. Cook for a further 20 minutes, until the stew has reduced and thickened, then stir in 3/4 of the chopped coriander.


Serve garnished with the remaining coriander, and with wholemeal pitta bread.

EAT



15 propoints per serving

Lightly adapted from Good Food Magazine

5 comments :

  1. Nice recipe, do you have any substitute ideas if I am not able to find the borlotti beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna - if you're in the states try Cranberry Beans (I think they're the same thing) but if you're this side of the pond and can't find them I would imagine that kidney beans would make a good substitute because of their *meatiness*.

      If you do cook it, I'd love to know how it turns out :) xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Ana, Fooduel sounds like a fantastic site - thankyou very much for the invite - I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe, Abbe!
    I doubled it for a casual dinner/board game night with friends and served it with gluten free cornbread--twas a great success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! And I really appreciate you taking the time to come let me know. Thankyou! :) xx

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...