1 April 2013

* Turkey, Leek and Onion Meatloaf

Turkey, Leek and Onion Meatloaf
Okay... so... it's not a traditional meatloaf. It's more of a meat... ummmm... bake? Cake? Big flat patty? Hah... it's a meat brownie. Sort of. Maybe. Let's just stick with calling it a meatloaf - it makes my life easier and this recipe a damn sight easier to sell. No one is going to click on a Meat Brownie recipe for anything other than the "Eeeeewwww" value.

It is a meatloaf - it's just happens to be having an identity crisis.

I love using turkey mince as an alternative to beef or pork, but I can't always manage to get hold of it. So when I do come across it - I panic buy. Actually, I panic buy a lot of food because it's rare that I can find what I'm looking for in the village shops (that's if I can find somewhere to park), and if I do find it I'm not willing to pay the hiked up price they ask for it.

A visit to a large supermarket is always a dangerous thing for me. I have the most wonderful intentions of buying only what is currently missing from my cupboards - like dog food, maybe some cheese and a pack of bacon... it all goes swimmingly to begin with. Then I get about a third of the way round and think "Wow, I'm doing really well today!" and whilst I'm patting myself on the back with one hand - the other hand is performing a smash and grab. It thinks that as we've been so good thus far, it's now a free for all.

The end result is a trolley that is overflowing, a cashier who can't quite believe that I've managed to strategically squeeze so much into it and is checking it for Tardis like qualities... and a bill that puts my eyebrows four foot above their usual location.

I really shouldn't be allowed out on my own.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 4

Prep time - 20 minutes
Cooking time - 20 - 30 minutes

You will need
A 28cm x 18cm baking tin

Ingredients
5 sprays fry light
3 leeks - chopped
1 onion - chopped
1lb/500g lean turkey mince
1 tsp dried thyme
3.5oz/100g fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg - beaten
salt
pepper
2 rashers back bacon - chopped

Method
Preheat oven to 200c/180c fan/390f/gas 4. Line the baking tin with baking parchment.

Spray a frying pan/skillet with fry light and cook the leeks and onion in it over a medium heat until soft - about 5 minutes. Pop the lid on to stop the vegetables from drying out. Once soft, remove from heat, take the lid off and allow to cool for 10 minutes.


In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients, including the cooled leeks and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Scoop the meat mixture into the baking tin and press into the corners with your fingers for a rustic appearance, or use the back of a wooden spoon - until reasonably even.


Scatter the chopped bacon over the top of the meat, bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, or until the meat loaf is beginning to crisp up and is cooked in the middle. Serve with mashed potato, vegetables and lashings and lashings of gravy.

EAT



6 propoints per serving

Lightly adapted from Good Food Magazine

2 comments :

  1. This looks wonderful Abbe ~

    I know we have different terms in the US, so what is back bacon and how much is a rasher? :)

    Thanks,
    Mary

    www.saffron215.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, I don't believe back bacon is available in the US as I think your bacon all comes from the belly of the pig.We call that bacon *streaky* in the UK and it's totally fine for the topping on this meatloaf. A rasher of bacon is a slice that weighs between 50g - 75g (2oz - 3oz or thereabouts), depending on thickness and cut (eg, streaky, collar, back).
    Hope that hasn't made it even more confusing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...