1 November 2012

* Carrot and Coriander Soup

The weather has turned considerably colder in the past couple of days, which means I no longer look a complete numpty when dressed in my full winter regalia of hat, scarf, gloves, boots and brolly under the arm (just in case it rains... which it does... all the time). The dog envies me. I'm tempted to buy her one of those neon coat affairs to keep her back dry when it rains... but she'd ruin what little street cred I have left.

This is the time of year when my little family actually demands soup, rather than suffer it. I love a soup that's wholesome and rustic and unprocessed. Where-as both Neil and Josh prefer smooth soups, with home made white bread to dunk into it. Neil still pulls his bread apart like a child would, and drops it into his soup to be fished out by his spoon.

Oddly - I'm often asked how many children I have (I must seem the maternal type - I'm not), my reply is always two - one I gave birth to, and one I married. Though I'm never quite sure which one is the biggest baby.

I decided to indulge Josh this time, with Carrot and Coriander Soup - he has a job interview next week, so I'm feeling all "Mumsy".

A rarity.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 4

Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 35 - 40 minutes

You will need
A medium sized saucepan with lid
A blender/food processor/stick blender

Ingredients
50g butter
2 leeks - sliced
500g carrots - peeled and sliced
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 ltr vegetable stock - from a cube is fine
150ml Greek style yogurt
salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander to garnish

Method
Melt the butter in the saucepan over a medium heat, add the leeks and carrots and stir well to coat with the butter. Put the lid on and gently sweat for a bout 10 minutes until veg is beginning to soften but not colour.


Stir in the ground coriander, cook for 1 minute before adding the vegetable stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the leeks and carrots are tender.

Leave to cool slightly before putting a blender to purée until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and stir in 2bsp of the yogurt. Reheat gently but don't boil.


Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with remaining yogurt and chopped fresh coriander. Serve with whatever bread takes your fancy. My choice would be granary or seeded... with 2 inches of butter.

EAT!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...